Sunday, August 30, 2009

Zoey

Holy shit, look what Amy and I just did! Zoey! She glows, she is an angel, she is perfect. Ye Gods, I was the first one to see her face. WHAM! Instant love. I could sit and just look at that face for hours. She is like an extension of me, we just sorta fit. My heart swoons when she opens her eyes and looks at me, and gets it's ripped from my chest when she cries.

The thing is, there are things, very important things, like say food, that daddy, at least at this point, can not provide her. He can make a hell of a funny face, daddy is great for afternoon naps, and a little kidding around, but at this early stage, Zoey is totally dependent on her mom. Daddy is biologically useless, he is still figuring out his place in the delicate dance that is your brand new life. He tries hard, he always means well, but he is a mere mortal, no matter what your older brother might say, he can not karate chop a car into two pieces... yet.

But where was I, oh yes, Zoey. Should I return to the beginning? Her beginning at least? Zoey Eliza Lane was born at home at 7:50 pm on August 28, 2009. Her father (that's me!!) was the first to see her perfect little face. Her mother and I gently brought her into the world. She coughed twice, maybe spit up a bit, then took a wee nap. It is hard work being born. Zoey woke up about 10 seconds later and searched her mom's chest for boobs. Oh how she loves the boob.

Mom, baby and daddy than spent the next half hour or so in pure awe. We stared and touched, and grinned and cried. Relief would be the wrong word (although mom, I am sure felt 10 pounds, ok, 8 pounds 2 ounces, lighter), the right word would be more ecstasy or maybe bliss. Zoey's birth was exactly what he had hoped for.

Haven't you heard? Yes, we are that crazy couple that had an unassisted home birth. What, you ask. What about, this, and that, oh and this thing here? Sure, you can live in the fear of the what ifs, but we prepared ourselves as best we could for those. In the end however, we had the utmost faith in each other and in human biology. We weren't really trying to make a political statement, or be anti-establishment (oy, how many times did we hear that?), we did the research. YES it is safe (probably safer) to deliver babies at home. Again...STOP with the what ifs, we were prepared for the what ifs, we live 10 minutes from the hospital, we would not have hesitated a second if we felt that Zoey was in any sort of danger.

So there! I am as proud as I have ever been. Zoey is my greatest accomplishment. The birth was beautiful, words can not do it justice. Have you ever watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas? Well if you have, I am sure you remember the scene where the Grinch's heart grew 4 times... that was exactly how I felt when I saw Zoey's little head emerge. Every time I look at her I could burst. I love you Zoey Eliza, you are daddy's special little girl.

16 comments:

  1. Well said Joe!! You brought tears to my eyes...she is a very special little girl, and very lucky to have you as her daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoey's Grand Dad, Joe's Dad, couldn't be prouder or happier. That special feeling is one you will never forget. I am so glad you have finally experienced it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jennifer and Dad, I have been trying my hardest to express what it is I am feeling... I want to climb the highest mountain and scream look what Amy and I created.

    I pretty much feel like a rock star.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had better print that blog out (better yet, hand write it) put it into a sealed envelope in Zoey's babybook for her to open when she's 16 yrs old and convinced that you hate her and want to make her life miserable.
    Brought back flooding memories and a few tears too. My angels are 23, 21, 20, 19, and 13. They grow WAY too fast.
    Enjoy the glow Joseph - wallow in it... theres nothing that will ever compare - except maybe being a grandparent, I'll let ya know about that in January....and April.. :).
    Best Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Terri. Funny you mentioned how I should save, print, write out, etc, this little blog post. I said the very same thing to Amy a couple of hours ago. It might act as my get of jail free card. The question is when do I use it... is it only good the once??

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVED this post! congratulations....am contemplating a home birth for the 2nd one....am in complete awe of the both (ok, all 3 of you) for doing it YOUR way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. I think it takes a certain confidence and faith in order to consider a home birth. There are going to be a million people try and scare the wits out of you. They will question your sanity, call you all sorts of things. As long as you believe in yourself, your partner, your baby, and biology, everything will work out fine. Oh and mom, dad and baby will be a heck of alot fitter and happier because of it. Good luck, and thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, not pregnant again (yet)...just starting to really re-consider how I want to do the 2nd one...actually had quite a horrific experience the first time around...feel much better about a 2nd birth...emphasis on MUCH

    PS - this is "nhleblanc" from twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mommy piping in here...my version of Zoey's birth story at: http://ecstaticgoddess.blogspot.com/2009/09/theres-no-place-like-home-birth-story.html

    Joe, I have to say here for all the world to see it that you are phenomenal baby, I love you, and I am amazed at what we've done. Zoey (and Emily and Zach) are so blessed to have a daddy like you, and I am blessed in every way to have such a caring, gentle, brilliant, crazy man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To which daddy responds...you Amy are the rock star, the ninja. I was but a passenger on that amazing ride. Oh and I am a gonna publish this on here..I am, I am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you. She is still the most amazing thing ever. She keeps me in daily awe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Out of curiosity, what legal implications are there in an unassisted birth? I thought it was mandatory to "seek medical assistance", in whatever form that might be, during birth?

    I am a Registered Massage Therapist and Doula, and I am curious about this. I am not judging!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, and I agree - wonderful begining for a new family member!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reta Preece, MidwifeJune 21, 2010 at 2:27 AM

    I am a midwife and there is NOTHING anywhere that says we (the people) need to "seek medical assistance" for our births. Birthing where and with whom we want is a Human Rights issue.

    I am one of few midwives that supports families in unnasisted birthings....its a sad thing.

    I love this little blog entry, i adore the passion and joy coming out of you daddy! Congrats to your beautiful motherbaby and of course YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you. It was wonderful to look back. Zoey seems so grown up now, and she isn't yet a year. Time flies.

    ReplyDelete